Sunday, April 18, 2010

Holla!

Well, if you can't tell I'm super proud of myself. The great Just Paint It Challenge of April was a rousing success.



This is what I started out with (notice the awkward arrangement of the doors creating about 50 square feet of unusable space):



Here's a closeup:



It wasn't the greatest view walking in from the garage, and I hated the wasted space. The only thing that seemed to land there were dust bunnies of a certain pooch's fur. Yuck.

So it's been about three years of debating what to do with this space. I debated painting, covering the door with some sort of shelving unit or covering it with fabric. I even considered turning it into a functional chalkboard calendar and a place to hang coats and such. I hemmed and hawed and basically just ignored it.

But when Ryan got into grad school and it started to look like this house might be my home for a bit longer than I originally had hoped, I decided I needed to do something to make this eyesore a bit easier on my psyche.

I took inspiration from its location smack in between our dining area and our living space. It needed to service both functions, so I decided it would best be used as a hostess station. A place where I can display some of my nicer pieces and also jot down a note or two. The key would be that this station would have to be somewhat portable in order to get into the utility area once a month to change the air filter.

So on Saturday I got down to business and painted the door:



And on Sunday I bit the bullet and did two coats on the air intake. That's 150 separate slats in that intake if you can't quite count.



And then it was time to make the area functional. I moved our cherry wood ladder bookcase and desk from the office into this transitional space. Here is the unit in the office (it was totally weighed down by lots o' sports memorabilia that will find a future home in Ryan's classroom someday):



And here it is in our living area:



Some perspective:



I was able to display my wedding album and pull some beloved wedding gifts out of the storage closet.

I know it's not a perfect solution to a necessary evil, but I think it's a good compromise. (Plus a cheap one. I didn't spend a dime outside of paint supplies.) I didn't expect to hide the door completely, but I believe it was the best I could do with the circumstances I was given.

And thanks to the "Just Paint It Challenge," I'm no longer afraid to paint. I had never painted anything before this, and my pals can attest that I was a nervous wreck. It was much easier than I had expected and I can't wait to tackle many more projects to come.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

What a huge improvement! Looks great.

Leslie said...

Great job, I'm so glad you took the plunge! It looks really good! :)

MrsG said...

Great job! I painted an air vent like that myself once, talk about PITA! I love what you did with that space, though, and for almost no cost! :)

Kari said...

Looks awesome!!

Julia & Tyler said...

it looks fabulous, and I love the desk/shelves!

lily said...

thanks for your sharing! great helpful!!!Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin ShoesChristian Louboutin Pumps Wedding Dress ShopsWedding Dress ShopsChristian Louboutin Boots Christian Louboutin PumpsChristian Louboutin Heels Christian Louboutin SandalPigalle Christian Louboutin fur bootschristian louboutin fur bootslouboutin pumpslouboutin fur bootscoyote fur bootschristian louboutin heelssilver strappy sandalschristian louboutin toundraloubitan studded bow peepvintage wedding dresses wedding dressescheap mobile phoneWedding Dresses 2011Wedding Dress ShopsOff the Shoulder Wedding Dressesbridal jacketswedding jacketsbridal jacketshalter neck wedding dressesoff the shoulder wedding dressesvintage wedding dresseswedding dresses with sleeveswedding jackets for the brideSorry for the bother, God bless you.

outlook fly said...

Office 2010 opens an office 2010 enormous amount design choices to allow you to give daily life to the suggestions. The raised image formatting tools including coloring saturation plus Office 2010 Key inventive side effects let you transform your file looks in to a work of genius. Joined with numerous prebuilt Business office designs as well as SmartArt graphical layouts, Office 2010 provides more Microsoft office 2010 download ways to generate your ideas remain. Microsoft office 2010

Deitrich said...

Will feature a daily calendar summary of Microsoft Outlook 2010 Calendar appointments and events in the record summary as text messages, sent to the user’s mobile phone, so even if the user away from the computer, able to make timely and full control of the dynamic .
Outlook 2010 download on life is needed to send out and be given postal mail, however the pc has to be linked to the network, you don’t to use the Web obtaining home can certainly give in addition to acquire e-mail.

Social Media said...

Buy Youtube Subscribers
Thanks a lot for blogging this, it was unbelieveably informative and helped me tons.

Dr. kold_kadavr_flatliner, MD, the sub/dude said...

High, girl!
Wouldn’tya love a forever Upstairs,
an eternity of aplomBombs??
An extraordinary DHTML @ warp-speed
with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
With an IQ much higher than K2?
Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love -
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
(what I write);
God believes in you.
God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down…