Thursday, May 28, 2009

Book #22: Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars

I almost gave this five stars, and then I decided to pull back a bit. I think I might overdo it on the reviews sometimes. I don't think books should get five stars unless I feel the need to press it into someone's hands or tell someone it will be required reading someday.

But this is one of those books you just can't put down. I started reading this book in the Belize airport and finished it about 15 hours later after I got ready for my flight out of DFW in the morning.

I was instantly drawn in by the narrator. I was surprised that a female writer was using a male narrator, but she did a great job creating the character and making him totally believable.

It's a rarity, but I really enjoyed the how the author told the story from the narrator's perspective in his 20s and then in his 90s. Maybe because I have a soft spot in my heart for old guys.

I loved the author's voice in this book, and I loved how she used real-life events (or at least what are believed to be real-life events) throughout the book. When I read the author's note after the fact it made the book all the more charming.

View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Michelle!

I read this book, and I found it to be quite anti-semitic. There was no reason that the bad character had to be Jewish - it really had nothing to do with the rest of the story. That bit of information could have been taken out and the story would have been just as good. Just my opinion.

XOXO,
Lisa Heller

Aldi Aprialdi said...

Your information is very useful and helpful. provide excellent benefits for us all. The first we share information with each other. thank you for the information.
Obat Herbal Gendang Telinga Robek
Obat Maag Alami