Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Book #21: A Tale of Love and Darkness

A Tale of Love and Darkness A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
Thanks to my honeymoon I finally finished this book. And even then it took nearly the entire trip.

I received this book as a birthday present prior to my depart for my first-ever trip to Israel in March. My friend promised it would be good and the book had great reviews. I admit I had never heard of Amos Oz before reading the book, but I am not well-versed in Israeli culture.

I wanted to like this book from the get-go. I was excited to use it as a window into Israeli life. But I hit numerous speed bumps on the way that made me put the book down several times.

Oz's writing style, while melodic and moving, made it hard to follow at first. The story is not linear, but starts in one place, then jogs back several decades, then forward, then back again. Several time he even repeats anecdotes but in different ways. The story finally ends somewhere in the middle at a true tipping point in his life.

This is a must-reread for me as I did so many starts and stops with it — more than two months' worth. By the end of the book I was smiling, truly fascinated.

View all my reviews.

No comments: