Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Book #20: The 19th Wife

The 19th Wife, 15 Cds [Unabridged Library Edition] The 19th Wife, 15 Cds [Unabridged Library Edition] by David Ebershoff

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
I loved this book a lot at first. I got the audiobook from the library to make a long journey bearable. This audiobook is loooooong. Fifteen discs unabridged so be prepared for a journey.

Like I said, the book was great at first. I was enraptured, not wanting to get to my final destination. The story goes back and forth between the present set in a fundamentalist polygamous sect in fictional Mesadale, Utah, to the origins of the Mormon church and the story of Brigham Young real-life 19th wife. The author weaves in research of a college student at BYU to connect the two.

As with all books that are set in two different eras, I eventually grew weary of one part of the plot and just wanted to finish up the other. I didn't feel like the author totally tied up the story well enough at the end to make the long journey back and forth between the two worth the wait.

View all my reviews.

No comments: