Monday, May 4, 2009

Book #16: Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars
I have a hard time giving a book a bad review, because if I really hated the book I wouldn't have finished it. I'm usually good at deciding whether to invest in a book. I read a lot of reviews first (both lay readers and "the experts") because I don't want to waste my time.

That said, I only moderately enjoyed this book. I actually didn't set out to read this book. I saw the preview for the movie, and when I was at the library last week, I randomly checked the shelves to see it was there. I figured it wouldn't be, because I'm still used to the avid readers in Johnson County (outside of Kansas City) who keep popular books checked out for months. But apparently in Springdale this isn't the case, because sure enough it was there.

I have been struggling with my reading lately, so I figured some pop literature would be just the pick-me-up. So I picked it up and fell right back into Dan Brown's formulaic writing style. This book is basically a rough draft of The Da Vinci code, his more recent and more popular work. It's the same character and the supporting characters are "different" but the same basic characterization.

The ending was trite, and reading the book made me not want to invest the $8 to see the movie.

View all my reviews.

No comments: