Friday, April 10, 2009

Book 10: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really liked the book and I think anyone who is interested in the Holocaust should carve out a few hours of their time and digest this book in one big gulp.

My mother-in-law had mentioned this book to me right around the time the movie came out. It wasn't really on my radar at first, but when I returned from Israel I really wanted to dive deeper through books. We went to Yad Vashem in Jerusalem so I really wanted to learn more about the Holocaust. I have read Anne Frank and Night by Elie Wiesel, but I hadn't read any other narrative accounts.

While this is obviously fiction, but the fact that it was told from a young German boy's perspective was interesting. The Book Thief is also told from that perspective, but the protagonist in that story is from a family of sympathizers. Bruno's father is actually in charge of Auschwitz and he lives just outside the camp's tall fence.

It's hard to say I enjoyed this book because it was so tragic, but it truly was a fulfilling read. You have to be able to suspend your judgment a bit as you read this book. I also found the author's notes and the interview with the author in the back of my edition worth the read. He explains his reasoning behind a lot of the story.

View all my reviews.

No comments: