Saturday, February 21, 2009

Book #9: Reading the OED

Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages by Ammon Shea

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book is strange. Reading it wasn't nearly as painful as reading the OED, but it came close. But -- just like the OED -- there were moments every 10 pages or so that were pure magic to me. Now I know there are words for the phenomenon of the sun warming a cold day and the pleasant smell after a good rain. I know there is a word to describe my loathing of laziness and lack of purposefulness. I know there is a word for something that has not been peed on (unbepissed)!

And what is brilliant about this book, like the OED, is that I will never use these words, and they will go in and out of my memory (some already have), which means in a few years, I can just pick this book up again and be similarly delighted again and again.

So this is one of the few library books I will probably make a point of purchasing. It is one of those rare books that will be just as interesting every time you read it.


View all my reviews.

No comments: