Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Book #6: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The next books I'll be reading for a time come from MLA's List of 30 Books To Read Before You Die.

Reading this entire list has always been a goal of mine -- well, ever since Mrs. Diana Davis handed out the purple pamphlet in AP English my senior year. (Mrs. Davis was always a romantic and loved the color purple and often commented on my love for wearing orange with kind of a grimace. She had to like me because my in-class essays always rocked, but I know she liked Elisabeth Ahrens better.)

Anyway, I've decided that I will finish this list in concert with my goal of reading 50 books this year. I making one exception. The Bible in No. 2 on the list and I just can't sit down and read the Bible cover to cover and still accomplish my 50 books goal, so reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Golden Compass trilogy (which only count for one book apiece) will have to be my atonement.

I had already read about a third of the books, so I will be able to read some other books, too. I put all of the books I have yet to read in my GoodReads to-read shelf and ordered them by reader popularity. I'm working my way from least popular to most popular, which brings me to....

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

My review

rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read this book in less than 24 hours. I started it at about 8 p.m. Monday and finished it at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

I really liked this book though it didn't really move me emotionally. The narrator is an autistic boy, which allows the reader to be reintroduced to basic themes of family, trust and love from a new viewpoint.

This is not a "dog lovers" book. (I feel the need to point that out because a lot of people are turned off by the derth of Marley & Me copy cats out there.)


View all my reviews.

No comments: