Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's Politics


I can't pinpoint the exact moment I became politically minded, but I know it happened fairly young.

I have distinct memories of voting for George H.W. Bush in the 1988 Weekly Reader election in kindergarten. (I believe my young love for Republicans had a lot to do with the candidates looking more like a grandpa than their Democratic rivals. I guess old white guys have that going for them, too.) I remember making a Bush/Quayle '92 sign in the fourth grade. I remember voting in the kids' election at my parents' precinct in 1996. I stayed up past 2 a.m. watching the 2000 returns with my dad.

That was all before I could legally vote.

So it's probably easy to imagine how excited I am about Tuesday. It's all I want to talk about and think about and read about. I can't get enough. Tuesday is bigger to me than the National Championship or any bowl game. It comes a close second to my wedding day. VERY close.

I married someone similar, but maybe not quite as fervent. (Although he is only half-joking when he talks about sending Obama an application to be his chief fantasy sports counsel.)

So Ryan and I will be camped out in front of the TV all day Tuesday until I have to go to work and I will be DVRing the coverage and readying my hard drive to save all of the front pages of Wednesday's paper like I did on Nov. 6.

Regardless of your political affiliation, Tuesday will be a time to watch and hope for the best for our country. We certainly need all of the positive energy we can get.

No comments: