Monday, November 17, 2008

Book Review: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
If you claim to be a literature lover (not just chick lit, romance or crime novels), then you MUST read this book.

This is not a book that will leave you feeling all warm and cuddly inside, but it is a novel that will make you wish you were reading it along with your college literature class. The book is so rich in symbolism, allusion and metaphor that I highly recommend reading it with a like-minded group. You will enjoy it without delving into all of that, but I think having reading partners to bounce your ideas off of will really enhance your reading experience. (I immediately felt like calling Mrs. Stanfield after reading this book and asking her what she thought was the significance of the family surname.)

There is a Shakespearean tie-in throughout the book. If I told you which play it was, it would give the ending away, but it would definitely enrich the book and make the ending more satisfying.

View all my reviews.

No comments: